Sunday, 29 December 2013

Diaries From The Future Episode 1 - Fat Chance!

Once upon a weekend, two days after an incident I can't recollect, I was marching by a
bustop on aba road wondering why poor people are so lazy, they're ready to pay N50 to go a
quarter mile but still brag 'do you know me?' to a conductor over N20 change, then all of a
sudden I bumped into a 'somebody' who was obviously distracted with her phone as I was
with mine. This lady's phone landed on the ground and the battery flew out. I just muttered
'sorry' and marched on. I had not even taken up to 5 steps before a hand grabbed my shoulder.

As the hand spun me around, I almost lost balance. It was a man probably in his early
forties.
"Don't you have manners!" he barked at me as I stood facing him, trying to understand the
situation. "You hit this lady, caused her phone to fall and you're walking away."
I looked at the man, then I looked over at the lady. She was just standing there looking all
upset. For a moment I considered giving this man a lecture on manners. I was going to start defending myself when I saw something on the floor the lady had missed while picking her
battery.
I just walked to the lady and spoke,
"We bumped into each other. I told you sorry. Why the harrasment?"
"Why weren't you looking at where you were going", she replied angrily.
"If you were also looking at where You were going, you would have avoided me", I retorted. As I turned to leave, I added, "Instead of pushing blame, you should be looking for your
earring".
From the corner of my eye, I saw her hand go to her ears. I marched on.

I wondered what the man thought of me as I left. I should have even answered his question.
'People can be funny most times', I thought, shaking my head. I hastened my steps some
more, I needed to get to the bank before 4pm and it was 3:40pm.
Now at GRA junction after 5mins, I entered GTBank premises. There was a long queue at the
ATM and it didn't look like it'll be my turn soon if I got into that queue, so I headed for the
entrance door. "Hi" a voice said from behind me. It definitely was from a man who had just come out from the banking hall. I didn't even budge. I was waiting on the queue to enter the bank and it was almost my turn. I just pretended it wasn't me. "Hi, excuse me." this time I got a
tap on my shoulder. I turned to see who it was that had no sense of banking time or
sensitivity to my rush. I froze; mouth open, speechless, and all that.

5 years ago if anyone had told me Bj Michael Abiodun would look this huge, I'ld have placed
a bet against it. He looked married and uncertain of who I was.
"Bj! Oh my gosh! Is this you?" I took two steps out of the queue and it was my turn already.
"Debby! Wooow!" his face was the definition of surprised. We hugged each other and by this
time, we were a cinema screen for all eyes.
"Debby.. You're looking so different. What happened to you? I almost thought it was someone else you know."
I let out a what-a-twist laughter, not just from the irony of what he said, but also from the
fact that my chances of entering the bank had just run out.
"I should ask you that too. You look transformed, eating oil money and enjoying married life.
Bj..."
"We thank God. It's God. I'm so sorry I havn't called you. Didn't you get my wedding invitation? I didn't see you at my wedding."
"I'm sorry I tried to reach you on phone to tell you I would be out of town for a workshop. It
didn't get through. I sent you an email to that effect."
"Maybe I missed it. So how are you doing? Look at you.. you don't even look married. How's business? It's been ages."
"I'm fine Bj. God has been good to me all round. Thanks to Him. How's your wife?" "She's fine. Oh! Sorry I pulled you out of the line. They've closed the entrance door. What will
happen now?"
"It's okay. Happy to see you. I'll just have to use the ATM." I really was happy to see him. It was 4 years ago since we saw last in person.

"Can I take you to another ATM? This queue is long, or did you come in a car?"
"Sure thanks. No, I walked down from Rumuola because of the traffic."
"Okay. Let's go this way. My car is parked around the corner." he gestured towards the park facing the express and I went in that direction.
I called Moses immediately, "Moses, where are you?"

"I followed stadium road but there's hold-up here too." came his reply at the other end of the call.

"Okay, just find your way home I'll take public transport. Bye"
We got to the parking lot then I heard the 'bleep bleep' sound from one killer-ride automobile
. "Bojojojo! This your ride na die o'. Abeg come gist me your levels."
He laughed and opened the passenger side of the front door for me.
"I'll go into GRA because of the traffic. We can look out for ATMs there as well but I'll come out to Olu-Obasanjo road where I'm sure of ATMs."
"Whatever bro. I take it that you owe me for getting me out of the queue and you're making up for it."
He got in the car and went in through Tombia street. On our way, we talked about everything, catching on after a long time. It was after I made my withdrawal from Skye bank ATM near Weldone supermarket, I realized it was 5pm and I had to be home to prepare dinner before my Sunshine arrives.
"Bj, which way are you heading? So I'll know whether to bother you some more or not." I said as I got into the ride.
"I can drop you off. Where are you going?"
I told him where to drop me and we zoomed away.

It was quite a friday and a meeting. I just cannot forget how funny it felt having to leave the queue when it was my turn, after all the rush and the phone drama I was involved in on the way to that bank. At least I reunited with a good old friend.
THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment